- Slices of turkey bacon (you can use any kind of bacon, we try to eat healthier so we use the turkey kind)
- 6 to 8 chicken thighs, depending on the size of your family
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut
- 2 cups of brown rice (uncooked) note: instant brown rice will get really mushy.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 pepper, chopped
- 1 can of chicken broth + 1/4 cup
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Fresh parsley
First, season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Then put some oil in a skillet and cook the bacon, set aside. Add the chicken to the skillet (add more oil if you need to), brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
Take the chicken out of the skillet, add a little bit more oil and add the carrots, onion, pepper, garlic and rice and cook a little bit. Add the chicken broth, cumin, oregano and some salt and pepper. Cook until it boils.
Transfer the rice into a greased 9 x 13 dish. Add the chicken on top.
Cover with aluminum foil and cook in a 375 degree oven for about an hour. Then, take the aluminum foil off, sprinkle cheese and put back into oven for 5 minutes. Take it out of the oven and add bacon and parsley on top.
The chicken turns out very moist and very flavorful. You can try it with chicken breasts but the result is not the same and the meat is a little dry. Great dish!